From Digital Hobo Information
This day in History
- 534 – A second and final revision of the Codex Justinianus is published.
- 1914 – The Federal Reserve Bank of the United States officially opens.
- 1920 – Qantas, Australia's national airline, is founded as Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited.
- 1938 – LSD is first synthesized by Swiss chemist Dr. Albert Hofmann at the Sandoz Laboratories in Basel, Switzerland.
- 1965 – Venera program: The Soviet Union launches the Venera 3 space probe toward Venus, which will be the first spacecraft to reach the surface of another planet.
- 1973 – U.S. President Richard Nixon signs the Trans-Alaska Pipeline Authorization Act into law, authorizing the construction of the Alaska Pipeline.
Born on this day
- 42 BC – Tiberius, Roman emperor (d. 37)
- 1952 – Shigeru Miyamoto, Japanese video game designer, created Mario and The Legend of Zelda
Died on this day
- 498 – Pope Anastasius II
- 1950 – Bob Smith, American physician and surgeon, co-founded Alcoholics Anonymous (b. 1879)
Observances & Holidays
- International Day for Tolerance (International)
- Day of Declaration of Sovereignty (Estonia)